There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Long Overdue Update

It's been three months since I have written on my blog. We've spent that time "recovering" and enjoying our new home. We've gotten back to work, too, but spring is here, it's blowing outside (as it's wont to do here in New Mexico this time of year) and we can't really do any dirt sifting so it's a good time to update everyone.

First, let me say - WE LOVE OUR HOME!!!!  Just about every day we look at each other, grin and pinch ourselves. We still can't believe we get to live here! It's cozy and quiet - and - well - everything we ever hoped it would be. The temperature continues to be consistent throughout the house and while we can hear the wind, we can't feel it! Quite a change from the trailer!!!!!

But, there's still lots to do and we have gotten quite a bit done in between hanging out and getting reacquainted with a social life. (It has really been nice to be able to do something OTHER than work on the house!)

So - here's where we stand . . .

Bathroom Vanity

We needed to finish the vanity so we could use it so that was one of the first things we've done.


Here's the finished product - in use. We love the corrugated metal hiding the pipes!

Living Room Wall

Before we can start moving bookcases in, we need to get some of the walls finished. The first one - and easiest - was the very large living room wall.  We needed to texture then paint. Very satisfying to have it done!



Studio Floor

The next next job that needed to be tackled was the studio floor. Because it was still unfinished, it was a big dust creator and we knew that the process of finishing it was going to be a dusty job, too. We just wanted to get it done!
First order of business was to lay the adobe grid. We decided to start with one section - about 2/3rds - of the floor.

First pour done. Once the first pour was leather hard, we did the final pour.
Then it was on to laying the rest of the adobes.

Final adobe!!! This felt very monumental!
Then it was on to the final pouring.

Last floor POURED!



We had to leave our mark <g>
The next step will be for me to fill the seams - I will start on that this week. Once everything is dry, the floor can be sealed and then we will have a studio!!!

Paperwork

In preparation for doing taxes I wanted to try to figure out how much we've spent on the house. I have been keeping all of the receipts in an envelope and it was time to organize them.

As close as I can figure, we've spent in the neighborhood of $155,000 - under $70 a square food - with NO mortgage!!!

The really BIG thing, though, is that we made the last land payment in January so the property is free and clear!

As we settle in and get a sense of the space we are starting to pick up furniture that fits our home and lifestyle. All of it from consignment and/or thrift stores. I'm having lots of fun finding great bargains and the house is quickly becoming a home.

Wall plastering is next - once the winds die down, that is <g>







No comments:

Post a Comment