But let me backtrack a bit. With winter weather approaching - yet again - there were some things that absolutely had to get done before we could move in.
ElectricalWe needed to get solar panels hooked up - at least enough to live with. Because we still had to run the trailer and well pump, it has taken us a few weeks to transfer all the panels down and get the two new panels to run the pump hooked up. Initially, we only hooked up 8 - enough to allow us to move in.
Rick, Samuel and Antonio getting the first 8 eight panels hooked up and working.
While there was not enough time to do ALL the final plaster, I really wanted to get the bedroom and bathroom done.
The bedroom side of the adobe wall with final coat of plaster.
The final coat mixture is the same as the fill coat but it needed to be smoother. I took a yogurt container lid, cut most of the rim off and used it to burnish the plaster once it reached leather-hard stage.
Here you can see the difference - the farthest plaster is "shiny". The near plaster has not been burnished. It really turned out nice!
We wanted to get the ceilings in the bedroom and bathroom finished. We decided to cover them with reed mats from the garden section at Lowes.
First I painted the ceiling black.
Then tacked up the reed mats.
Somewhere down the line we may do something different but for now, we're happy with this.
The shower was a must! And there was still a lot to do.
Glass blocks installed
Shower liner installed behind blue board.
Shower pan being poured.
Wall prepped for tile. What isn't shown here is that I painted all the seams with a water proof paint.
Tile work started.
Tile work done ready for grout! It was somewhat of a challenge getting the shower pan poured and making sure that we had enough slope. Well we have plenty!!! This drain really drains!
I installed T & G in the ceiling of the shower. Rick really wanted me to tile the ceiling but doing the sides was hard enough! I just was not up to tiling over my head!
Cabinets being installed. More auction finds!
Shower and cabinets done!
Bathroom door hung.
A year or so after we moved to Youngsville we helped the community re-plaster the old adobe church. Behind the church was an old out-house that they wanted removed. It was all old wood construction so we took the whole thing home with us and dismantled it. (Wish I'd had the foresight to get pictures of us loading that thing into the back of the truck!) The wood has been stacked and waiting for a use ever since. Rick came up with the idea for using it on the bathroom walls. I love the way it looks!
I had been looking at the Habitat Re-Store for a vanity that would work to no avail. I did find a great sink, however, so we used wood we had on hand and built a vanity!
The sink still needs to be installed - which means that holes need to be drilled so that it will sit flush on the top of the vanity - but we want to do a tile back splash first. We'll get baskets to use as drawers on the shelves. Really happy with the way it turned out!
While it wasn't absolutely necessary to finish the trombe walls, Rick was able to get them done before bad weather hit.
A coat of structalite to smooth out the wall.
An absorbant black coated foil was affixed to the wall before the single-paned glass was installed. The foil is supposed to increase the amount of heat that is absorbed by the wall. We have been told that it could take up to a year for the trombe walls to get "charged" and start working so the jury is still out on them.
Then - all of a sudden it seemed - it was moving day! Because there is still quite a lot left to do in the house, we really didn't want to move everything - just enough to have what we need (office up and working, kitchen, etc.) but there was still a lot that had to get moved in one day!
And then it was party time!
We invited a few of our closest friends to come over on New Years Day for black-eyed peas. The party was a huge success and a wonderful way to start our life in our new home!!
We are truly blessed!
There's still quite a bit left to do to "finish" the house. The floor in the studio still needs to be poured and the final coat of plaster still needs to be done on most of the rest of the house and we need to build the closet for the bedroom and shelves in the pantry - just to name a few things. We also need to do the final coat of plaster on the outside.
But we have enough done to be comfortable and to feel like we can take some time off. We deserve a break!!!
Now that the New Year is here we will start back working as the weather improves. We had snow yesterday and will have to wait until that melts to get back to laying adobes, pouring the floor and plastering.
So stay tuned - we're not done yet!
NOTE: How the House is Working
As I have mentioned before, while living in San Diego we worked on three straw bale houses and we had visited a couple of them out here in New Mexico but we had never spent a lot of time in one so everything we'd heard about the way they perform was hearsay. Now that we have been living in our home for more than 3 weeks (two of those weeks were VERY cold, not getting much above freezing during the day and into single digits at night) I can say that our house is performing as advertised! The only heat we have - besides the passive solar - is two wood-burning stoves and we are really only using one of them currently. The temperature has not fluctuated more than 6 or 7 degrees in a 24 hour period since we moved in. Rick will put a log on the fire before he comes to bed but that's all at night. I have not been COLD in this house once!!!! We are happy campers!